Thursday, August 5, 2010

Personal Code of Ethics

1. Be Truthful
- This is perhaps the most important value I can adhere to as a journalist. Citizens read journalists’ work only upon the belief that the journalists are writing the truth. It is an implicit promise made to readers/audience by journalists. It is important that I do not fallaciously parade material as the truth. There is a saying, accuracy is not always the truth. It is essential that I take great care in reporting the whole story and not leave out true, substantive pieces of a story.
- “We cannot be less than honest, we cannot be less than true, we cannot be less than virtuous if we are to keep sacred the trust given us. Once it was said among our people that a man’s word was as good as his bond. Shall any of us be less reliable, less honest than our forebears? Those who are living the principle of honesty know that the Lord does bless them. Theirs is the precious right to hold their heads in the sunlight of truth, unashamed before any man” (President Gordon B. Hinckley, We Believe in Being Honest).
- It is only by being completely truthful, that I can be trusted as a source of light for the public.

2. Make the Truth Comprehensive
- This guideline obviously goes along with the latter because what is the truth if the vast majority of citizens cannot understand it? It is crucial that upon obtaining newsworthy truth, that I carefully and coherently piece it together. I need to do as The New York Times did with the Afghan and Pentagon papers, I need to carefully and earnestly, take the time to compile and draft the truth in an engaging and comprehensive manner.

3. Engage the Public
- It is imperative that I remember who I work for – citizens. I feel I can engage citizens in two central ways. The first – by reporting news to the public that enlightens them about the world around them and in turn, sets ablaze a desire for them to interact with their government or other leaders. The second way I feel I need to engage the public is by establishing a public forum. I can do this as I give voice to multiple sides of an issue, not necessarily equal time to all sides, but I need to provide a spectrum of opinions.
- “A newspaper that does not challenge its community’s values and preconceptions will lose respect for failing to provide the honesty and leadership that newspapers are expected to offer” (Jack Fuller, CCJ Forum).
- “To be at once the enabler and goad of community action is a great challenge” (The Elements of Journalism).

4. Be at the Forefront of New Technology
- Technology is constantly changing and the way society communicates is rapidly evolving. It is vital that I keep my finger on the pulse of this change. I need keep myself up to date and trained with new technology. It is essential that this be part of my personal code of conduct if I truly want to maximize the number of people that I am able to inform and provoke.
- We should be anxious to “use technology where it can best serve, but we must first understand the technology and know how it can be used” (Paul Koelliker as quoted in The Church and Computers: Using Tools the Lord Has Provided).

5. Fulfill the Watchdog Role
- I must serve as an independent monitor of power. I must not pick and choose which officials to investigate and which to simply ignore. I need to spend the time that I do investigative reporting wisely and decide which individuals and occurrences if investigated, would serve the public most valuably. As I report on investigations, I need to steer clear from emotion-based reporting and stick to the facts concerning the investigation. A key component for me to fulfill the watchdog role is to maintain an insatiable curiosity and never cease to ask “why?”
- “Yea, behold I do not fear your power nor your authority, but it is my God whom I fear; and it is according to his commandments that I do take my sword to defend the cause of my country, and it is because of your iniquity that we have suffered so much loss” (Alma 60:28).

6. Advocate
- There is always an oppressed group or individual who is waiting for the world to hear their cries. My responsibility is to give an independent voice to these individuals when applicable. It is important that I do not exploit – however unintentionally – individuals’ sufferings to strictly gain emotional appeal or to elevate my public image. I should be ever so careful in my associations with victims – to be respectful and compassionate and maintain no other role than of reporter.
- “My prayer is that we will follow the example of the Man of Galilee, who could be found mingling with the poor, the downtrodden, the oppressed, and the afflicted” (Thomas S. Monson in Canaries with Gray on Their Wings).
- “Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?” (Isaiah 58:6).

7. Be Accountable
- I know that I am not faultless; at times I will not live up to my personal code of ethics. When at all necessary, I need to own up to my shortcomings and be willing to accept the necessary repercussions. Also as a journalist, it is my responsibility to admit to any personal biases or ties that may taint the neutrality of my reporting.
- If I report on an individual or a group that has been charged with criminal acts, I need to continue to cover the individual/group and inform the public whether the charges were acquitted or if they were convicted. To not do so would be doing the public and the individual/group a great disservice.
- “I think it’s possible to be an honest journalist and be loyal to a cause. It’s not really possible to be an honest journalist and be loyal to a person, a political party or a faction” (Maggie Gallagher, CCJ Forum).

8. Be Continuously Educated
- “The smarter the journalists are, the better off society is. To a degree, people read the press to inform themselves – and the better the teacher, the better the student body” (Warren Buffett).
- If I am going to teach (through reporting) the public about a religion’s beliefs and practices or the complexities of a war, I need to thoroughly know what I am talking about. I can do this by reading, lots of reading and talking to sources who are highly-educated on the subject at hand. I must be careful to become educated through a variety of sources, thus to enhance my understanding and be protected against erroneous material.

No comments:

Post a Comment